With the launch of Is
Freelancing For You, our free course, our editor-in-chief
wanted to discuss the characteristics that lead to a successful
Simply put, almost anyone can freelance -- but not everyone
should. There are certain traits that position you for success, and
there are common habits that will drag you down.
In no particular order:
- Being curious enough to listen and learn for
clients and your craft
- Self-discipline and the ability to hold
- Likewise, self-awareness is crucial when
YOU are your business. There's no room for excuses or pointed
- Professionalism -- to a point. You are your
business, so don't be afraid to flex your personality. That said,
don't be a dick.
- Organizational skills. Two words: tax
- Self-confidence. You're going to fail. A
- Patience. It's going to be a while before the
fruits of your labour are ripe.
- Flexibility is half the reason most
clients work with freelancers.
- Communication skills. This means clearly
communicating yourself, your business, and your craft to
The episode references an
article by Ilise
Benun, a former guest who discussed
the importance of finding a niche during a Clients From Hell
Are you interested in
becoming a freelancer?
We want to help. That's why we built
a course that offers everything a first-time freelancer needs to
succeed with their budding business.
Note: Enrollment is limited to
the first 50 students.
Are you a freelancer who
wants to make more money?
Check out our book all about making
more money as a freelancer:
Hell to Pay.
It’s everything a freelancer needs
to know about money, like how to bill clients, negotiate rates, and
make most the most money for the least amount of
GET PAID WHAT YOU'RE WORTH
(use CFHPodcast to save
Talk to Clients From Hell or Bryce Bladon on Twitter.
Or shoot us an
Hell on iTunes |
Subscribe on iTunes | Android | RSS